Challenges facing farmers and Benefits of PC
- Almost all emerging farmers lack irrigation and post-harvesting (packaging, refrigeration, etc.) infrastructure.
- Most emerging farmers do not comply with food safety and quality standards expected by formal fresh produce markets.
- An insignificant number of emerging farmers produce priority commodities (potatoes, onions, and tomatoes).
- The majority of emerging farmers are located very far (>50 km) from formal markets including Agri-Parks/Hubs, or collection/aggregation points.
- The supply chain and logistics costs incurred to bring the fresh produce to a formal market are prohibitive.